Tuesday 7 May 2013

A belated birthday


People! My dear readers! We missed an opportunity for cake! This travesty dawned on me over the weekend when I realised that I had missed my blog’s second birthday. BY A WHOLE MONTH!!! My only excuse is that the NABM house has been so single-minded about a certain person’s upcoming 3rd 'birfday' that I completely overlooked the other milestone in the house.

Of course I’m now bringing it up because, if you’re anything like me, which I can only guess you are, then you’re always on the look out for a totally legitimate excuse to have a slice of cake. And if a blog turning 2 isn’t just that, well, I give up. Go and get yourself a little baked treat and settle in for some fun because today I’m hosting a little retrospective blogday shindig!! I’m doing this because when I  did it last year I had so much fun but also because I currently spend my days in the company of two delightful children I’m especially keen for some adult interaction. Even via my computer. Actually mostly via my computer because it cuts the hassle of loading the kids in and out of the car, finding a park, getting the pram out, loading it up and then spending said interaction trying to finish the sentence I, or my adult companion, started 30 minutes earlier.

Last year I asked you to “delurk” to emerge from the darkness of your computer rooms and say hello in the comments section. Not by name or address obviously but just something about yourself. Now by all means please use this opportunity to do the same this year. There are more of you and I’d love to hear from you. But for the old timers please feel free to go off piste and answer however you’d like. Share another blog you love, topics you enjoy, others you loathe. Whatever. Just say hi and give me a reason to avoid loading up the car three times today. Two is my maximum. If by chance you’re one of the adults with whom I enjoy regular but broken catch ups, finish the sentence you no doubt started six months ago. I’m all ears!

I’ve just re-read the post I wrote last year to mark this blog’s first birthday and all of your lovely comments. Please forgive me this moment of immodesty but I’d be lying if I said reading that and reflecting on two years (and a month!) didn’t make me feel just a tiny bit proud. I love my little corner in cyberspace and I love that you guys keep visiting. Back when I started I wasn’t sure what would come of it but I know for certain that I didn’t picture it like this; that this blog would be so much a part of me that I couldn’t imagine life without it. It’s clichéd but one of the challenges in mothering small children is losing a sense of who and what you are outside of feeding, cleaning and caring. For me, this place helps me find that person week in, week out. It makes me reflect and mostly it makes me enjoy the feeding, cleaning and caring more. There are weeks when finding an hour to sit and write is hard but the only thing that is harder is not finding the time. Because when I don’t the words stay inside my head and drive me crazy.

THANK YOU FOR KEEPING ME (MOSTLY!) SANE. Now let’s share some cake!!  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy 2nd blog Bday Mrs N. I have been reading your weekly posts with relish since day 1. Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Hi G, I always love to read your posts - I have read all of them! I love your writing style and hearing your point of view. One topic I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on is the issue of child care and equality. I heard Jen speak on the subject and feel that its a huge social issue xxx Megan http://www.makecarefair.com.au/makecarefair/homepage

Anonymous said...

Happy 2nd blog Birthday! I love reading it when i get the chance, my favourites being your obsession with the Royals. Can't wait to hear what you think of Kates bump-fashion/ she's having a boy rumours...

Enjoy the cake!

Joyce said...

Thank you for 2 years of beautiful writing, hilarious stories, relatable issues and generally making hump day less humpy. Don't ever stop!
Your # 1 fan (arguably).