Wednesday 5 June 2013

A new agenda

This blog is obviously quite personal. I do, when factors conspire in my favour, write about things that are much bigger and more interesting than my little life. On occasion I have written about topics including equality, shameful conduct in the Catholic Church and the importance of feminism. But, most of the time, regular readers will attest, I write about my little life. Sometimes in great detail and sometimes from afar. It always depends on what strikes me when the time to write presents itself and then again when the time to publish, and fiddle about with the backend of a blog, arises. (Those two things rarely happen in the same sitting.)

I don’t ever think too much about what I should or shouldn’t write about. The only definite limitations on allowable subject matter are Mr G’s single stipulation, that I do not identify him by name, and not wanting this to be a forum to offend or embarrass anyone. Other than myself obviously. But, week to week, I guess I do make little subconscious judgement calls about what I share and what I don’t. To be honest there’s not a huge amount I don’t share. If you were to read this blog regularly you would have a pretty accurate understanding of what’s happening in this particular part of the world at any given time. Albeit with a two week time lag (and devoid of any highly offensive thoughts that may have crossed my mind in the given period).

But this week there is no such lag. I have some news, and whilst on the one hand I can’t shake the sense that it might be completely self-absorbed to share it, on the other hand I can’t really not. Because aside from anything else there’s quite a bit I need to workshop with you and it’s going to have some repercussions here. I have got a new job!!! In a bit over a month I will become the acting editor of a fantastic website that I hope you will start frequenting soon, if you don’t already.

None of my excitement about this new job stems from not loving my old job. Au contraire. The day I finished work before having Miss L I thought, and later wrote, how lucky I was to be leaving a job I enjoyed so much. To me the fact I felt sad to be bidding my role and my workmates a temporary farewell spoke volumes about my affection for that job. Having experienced both career dissonance and a period of brutal unemployment (save for a few soul destroying temporary roles) I sincerely appreciate the incredible fortune in having a job that provides enjoyment and fulfilment. (In addition to the other more obvious benefits of steady employment: regular income and, every working parent’s favourite pleasure, the opportunity to drink a coffee uninterrupted.) It is a lottery that I was lucky to win.


I realise I’m possibly tempting fate by giving something else a go but nothing ventured nothing gained. At least I hope so!! It is a little bit scary but also a big bit exciting. It means, once I start, I will be writing less about my little life here but I’ll be writing more about the bigger stuff over there. In the meantime I am getting myself closely acquainted with the finer details of the childcare shortage. I REALLY should have spoken to Mr Abbott when I had the chance!!

5 comments:

Joyce said...

Congrats NABM and excellent choice Women's Agenda - you have gained a whole new gang of dedicated readers!

Kate Moore said...

Congratulations. I am a reader. Can't wait to see what you bring to it.

GGPA said...

Looking forward to hearing more about the new challenge.Congratulations, love and best wishes for your assured success

Erin said...

Hurrah! Congratulations. I remember when this career all started with BRW Rich List at NSH Rd! Love seeing you doing something you Love so much. Erin xx

Emma said...

Great news - I am a fan of this site and can't wait to read what you write!!! Emma x