Sunday 11 August 2013

Putting a blog to bed

I have put off writing this until the very last moment but my denial can last no longer. I am placing Not Another Blogging Mother into administration for the next little bit*. I will pause now while you sob dramatically and ponder how on earth you will ever cope without my weekly whinge. (Take comfort knowing I am sobbing louder than anyone right now pondering how on earth I will cope without my weekly whinge.)

From tomorrow I am taking over the reins at Women’s Agenda on a practically-fulltime basis and for many reasons I’ve decided to dedicate myself to it wholeheartedly. There are only so many minutes in a day and between my job, my girls, Mr G and running a household, I know I’m going to be spread thin as it is. So for now, while I get myself acquainted with a new order of affairs, I’m going to let NABM lay idle.

Even typing that sentence was painstaking because I am so reluctant to leave this space, my quiet haven in the world wide web, even temporarily. While I am obviously not expecting anyone to sob, or even mind, about my hiatus I wasn’t joking about my own (internal) sobs. It’s hard to tear myself away.

For the past two and a bit years a week has barely passed where I haven’t perched at my computer and happily tapped away. Not because I think I have to but because I always want to. There has never been a day or a week where I have felt anything remotely close to ambivalence about sitting here chatting to you.           

Which is why this is not a eulogy. Blogging is the only real hobby I have ever embraced and I have no intention of abandoning it for long but for now my job and my family are going to be the dual recipients of every bit of my energy. And until I’m back THANK YOU for reading.

PS. Of course if you do happen to miss me here I will be writing regularly over at Women’s Agenda so come visit! Daily! And bring all your friends. And all their friends! And your family! It’ll be fun. I promise.


*I am giving myself a full calendar month before I am even allowed to think about logging on here again. I have to be strict because I will want to be writing here but I figure it’s better to (try) to do a few things well rather than lots of things badly.   

3 comments:

Kate Moore said...

Good luck with the new job tomorrow. I'll be cheering for you from behind my work desk and here too, from the home desk.

Anonymous said...

We'll miss your lovely writing and reflections Georgie, but wish you all the best with the new role and routine. Take care!

D Samuel said...

Nice post about "Putting a blog to bed". WoW, Women's agenda also there... Thanks from International Express Services
Counselling Services